Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

It has been so incredibly busy the last few days...I had something I was going to post, but I didn't get around to doing it before I forgot what it was. It's gone now. Maybe it'll return.

Anyway, Craig took the job of ripping all the insulation out of the basement while I put my efforts to baking three batches of speedbumps. For those who don't know, speedbumps are the traditional Christmas cookie for my dad's side of the family. They were originally called something like rum-butter logs or nutmeg logs, something along those lines. Grandma always used to make a ton of them for Christmas and keep them chilled in the garage. One year it got particularly cold in said garage, and when my uncle Steve went to eat a cookie and found it frozen rock-solid, he said, "Damn, these things are like speed bumps!" It stuck.

So I started the project by getting completely distracted by an OCD moment: I was just going to wipe the counter - I swear! - and somehow ended up cleaning and reorganizing most of the kitchen. Then, and only then, did I turn my attention to the cookies. As for those, I made them way too big and still came out with about 130 of them. I'm not worried. They'll get eaten. I've already made some inroads myself, and then I took some to Craig's aunt Prudy's house today and they were a hit.

I still haven't remembered what else I was going to say. It's been a whirlwind of cleaning, baking, organizing, moving shit around, fighting with the cats...and, of course, watching poker every night. Hey, you have to have something to relax to!

Right now, however, I shouldn't be relaxing but packing for the trip. Craig and mom and I are going to upstate New York tomorrow morning to see the aforementioned group of asylum should-be inmates known as my dad's family. Honestly, I really can't complain - they are fun. They're fun because they're so damn nuts. So I'm going to stop rambling and go do something useful. Maybe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey.... where did you go? Haven't heard from you in a while... come back!