Saturday, February 14, 2009

Training Week

I've been trying all week to get a chance to get some updates in here, but B-dubs has been keeping me way too busy. Starting Sunday night, they've had me every night, including a good chunk of today, for orientation, training, and practice.

Sunday was orientation round two (round one being last Tuesday). Honestly, I can barely remember what we did at this point - the week has quickly become a blur. It was definitely the day we got our uniforms and training manuals, but beyond that, I really can't tell you what we did. I only remember that we were there from 6:00 to past 9:00pm.

Monday night to Wednesday night, training ran from 5:00 to 10:00pm, and consisted of memorizing the menu, memorizing the 14+1 signature sauces (no, it's not 15, really), memorizing the drinks in the bar, learning techniques including pivot point table service, and figuring out how to use the POS. I heard it said about the computer that it's "user friendly but not intuitive," which I have to totally disagree with. If a system isn't intuitive, it's not user-friendly. The definition of user-friendly is that it's easy to get around without knowing too much about it...so wouldn't intuitiveness be a boon? You'd think.

Thursday night was the usual training, followed by a pep rally until 11:00. The theory of the company is that their teams of employees should be like a sports team. After all, everything else about them is sports-themed, including the menu. As silly as it is to sing songs like I'm back in girl scout camp and scream at the managers like they're rock stars, I'd honestly rather that than a general "Congrats, here's a job, now fuck off." Though I'm not too fond of some of our franchiser's policies, I do have to give the group credit for putting together a really good team. I have yet to find anyone there I dislike for any reason, and I've actually made a few friends.

Friday was Family and Friends day, where each of us was given a pass for two people for the lunch or dinner shift, so we could come in and get a meal with one other person. The food was on the house to give the staff practice at ordering, mixing, serving, and the rest of the deal without going 100% live. After all, you don't have to worry much about people comlaining when they're eating for free.

I got out a little bit early that night, at 9:30, because our shift did really well and cleaned up fast. I had a small fiasco with trying to split one family between two tabes which were in two different sections. I was told both tables were mine (giving me three tables, when no one was supposed to have more than two), but the second table was in someone else's section, so she thought it was hers. There was quite a bit of confusion until that was sorted out by the trainers...and it was the manager's family we were messing around with. The trainers said they were impressed with how well we did, especially compared to some of the other BWW's they've opened.

I ran home after work, showered, and then we went to Craig's friend Eric's birthday party. Almost as soon as we walked in the door, I was accosted by a girl named Kat who heard that my 21st was recently and said to Craig, "I get to corrupt your girlfriend!" She dragged me into the kitchen and poured me a drink, and I chatted with her and Sarah (who I knew from Haven) and a guy named Bob. We got free entertainment out of the deal when Bob's brother Ross wandered in completely smashed and proceeded to start patting Craig and talking loudly about things that would be inappropriate to post, but that caused a whole lot of laughter.

Somehow I forgot that I hadn't eaten since my dozen spicy wings at B-dubs at 11:30am, and by...okay, I have no clue what time it was...I was pretty well under. I sat for quite a while and talked with a guy with pink hair in a skirt whose name was either Brittany, Freddy, or Birdie - I never figured it out. Our intent had been to go home early, especially given the amount of cigarette smoke in the small apartment, but after having no time for anything all week, I was glad to be able to relax and meet some new people. Craig says we got home about 2am. I remember showering, then falling asleep on the couch, then waking up at...well, who knows, and going to bed.

This morning I was up at 9:00 again to be back at B-dubs by 10:00. The really ironic thing? I was there for ServSafe alchohol training! Abel and Laura laughed hysterically when they heard that. Fortunately for me, I only get hangovers if I'm already sick, so I felt fine, if a little tired. The course was boring as hell but not difficult. The most exciting part of the day was sprinting through the mall to Subway to get lunch on a 7-minute break. We made it back in time, just barely. The other funny moment came when I went to cross my legs under the table without realizing how close to the table said legs already were, and I whacked my knee so hard on the underside of the table that I think half the room must have heard it. I just about melted onto the table trying not to laugh out loud.

The course let out at 3:00, and I asked Abel what he was going to do for the next hour until his night shift started. (Tonight was another practice shift like the F&F one yesterday, but involving local "VIPs", whatever they consider those to be. I wasn't put on shift for this one.) He grabbed my arm and dragged me to Target, where I was informed that I was going to help him pick out a Valentine's Day card for his wife.

"That's ironic," I said, "Given how much she hates me."

"She doesn't hate you," he said, "She hates everyone." Okay, that's better then. I shan't pass on all the gory details, but suffice it to say that he and his wife have not been getting on so well of late.

"Isn't she convinced that you're cheating on her with me or something?" I asked. I met her during the F&F shift on Friday, and my friendly smile, handshake, and "Nice to finally meet you!" was answered by a death glare.

"I don't care what she thinks," was the answer. I have the distinct feeling I won't be spending very much time with her. "She yells at me for going to work, she yells at me for coming home late, she yells at me for having friends. And yesterday she said that if I'm going to be home after 10:30, I shouldn't bother coming home at all!"

"Where the hell are you supposed to go?" I asked.

"Beats me." Night shift, after all, lets out between midnight and 2am.

After our trip to Target, we hung out in the parking lot, and I juggled clubs while Abel spun poi. We got quite a few amused looks from the people in passing cars, which is always a fun way to pass time.

Tomorrow is the one day that everyone gets off. Translation: my one homework day. I'm glad I had tonight to just veg. Monday I've been put on day shift, which means that I'll be there for the grand opening, the first time that just anyone is allowed to come in and buy food, and for real money! I'll probably make a ton of mistakes, but I'm not nervous. The managers have been super patient about helping us to correct the mistakes we've made so far, and I haven't heard them yell at a single person, despite the chaos that is the definition of restaurant. I've said innumerable times that I hate foodservice, but I think I'm really going to like this job.

No comments: