Saturday, February 7, 2009

21 Today

Had orientation for B-dubs on Tuesday night, and though it was rather unnecessarily long, it went well. I got there right on time and took one of the last chairs in the room. The guy seated on my left was staring at me sideways in a somewhat stalkerish fashion, and I hoped that he would either say hello or stop looking at me. I scooted my chair as far away from him as I could in the cramped space. A minute later, someone else came in and took the last empty chair in the room, which was the one on my right. I reluctantly moved closer to the first guy again.

They started passing out paperwork, and the guy on my right introduced himself as Abel. I had to ask him what county I lived in for the forms, and we started talking. I had thought when he came in that he looked vaguely familiar, but I don't really know anyone around this area, so I dismissed the thought. Then he told me that he used to work at a goth/industrial club, and I asked if he meant Haven. When he said yes, I realized exactly where I recognized him from. Haven has been one of my favorite hang-out spots for the last year and a half or so, and he's an old-school Havenite - been there pretty much since it opened.

Both of us were glad to have encountered another smartass in a crowd of what looked to be largely Ugg-boots girls and Abercrombie boys, and we ended the night making snide comments about the "educational" video they showed us. These things were like 80s animation (think old Def Leppard music videos) meets Star Wars-brand scifi meets the worst of driver's ed videos, and they were on such topics as Kitchen Safety and Sexual Harrassment.

People's Bank put out an offer to the staff of B-dubs that if we open a new checking account with direct deposit, they'll give us $100. I'm not stupid - I went to the bank yesterday and opened the account. As I was leaving, I ran into Abel, who was doing the same thing. According to the bank manager, most of the staff had been there already, and there were more when I left. I don't know how they can afford an offer like that, but it sure as hell is a good one.

So today is my 21st birthday. [/END selfPlug]I'm going out in a few minutes to get a new driver's license, replacing my New Hampshire one with a Massachusetts version, and tonight I'm going up to Keene to see Marie, Liz and crew. Craig and I are going to stay at Marie's house (provided she's not too sick, as she had an upper respiratory infection the last time we talked) and then go visit mom for lunch on Sunday. Sunday night begins another round of B-dubs orientations and training that's going to last every day this week. Wish me luck getting any schoolwork done.

2 comments:

Kitty Taylor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kitty Taylor said...

Good luck getting your school work done! ... XD

Sounds like an eventful time, but Happy Birthday - enjoy it!