Friday, November 14, 2008

Take a Break? Never!

I'm taking a break from writing...to write. At least I'm writing something different.

Catching up with a day's missed word count is a little more of a struggle than I expected it to be. I've reached 22,518 as of a couple of minutes ago, but my progress is slowing down. I really want to get through the last 800 words today/tonight, but it's amazing how much effort a half day's wordcount can be when you've already done a couple of thousand and you're not in the middle of an inspiring scene.

I'm not one of those writers who can say "This scene is boring me, so I'll skip it and write the next one, and come back to this later." Some part of me demands of some other part of me that I write everything in order. (It's the same part that demands that I fix grammar and spelling errors, even though that's kind of against the rules of NaNo.) My inner Editor is too obsessive-compulsive to let me concetrate on anything else, like writing productively, until that typo staring at me is corrected. Fortunately I type fast, so it doesn't hold me up too much.

This is the point at which I should say "Time for a break!" and go do something ELSE else, that's not blogging, that actually requires me to get up and change my position and surroundings. However, it's raining and cold and dark outside, and I'm entirely uninspired to do anything but remain inside where it's warm and dry. Training myself to actually take breaks while I'm working on something is pretty difficult. Whether it's a novel or a programming project, it seems more productive to sit and stare at the screen and produce nothing than to walk away, even though theoretically I know otherwise.

So here I am, sitting and staring at the screen and producing nothing but whining, bloggable drivel and complaints.

In other news, though, UMass finally got my PUCE transcript. Now it's back to the waiting game. I have my fingers crossed!

No comments: