Friday, November 21, 2008

OCD Happy

I just hit the end of a chapter at exactly 33,000 words, at exactly 9:00am. This makes my OCD side extremely happy. The unfortunate part is that it also makes it harder to get going again, since writing another word will make the count no longer even. Then again, I really want to hit 35k today.

So I guess I lied about not posting any more excerpts. I wrote a paragraph I just love for some reason, and want to put it up somewhere. Here it is.

My phone rang just then and I answered it, even though I knew it was only my alarm. Distinctly uninterested in watching Jen work her boy magic, I had set it to go off at noon to save me from an awkward situation.

“Hi mom,” I said, loudly enough that they would both hear me, and started sidling away. “What’s up? Oh, really?” I continued to fake a conversation until I was out the door and well away from the building. When I reached the edge of the parking lot, I took a quick glance over my shoulder to be sure they weren’t following me, and broke into a run. Some part of me felt inexplicably guilty for doing what I’d just done to Fin. I knew Jen wreaked havoc on boys, and I probably shouldn’t have handed her one I was actually friends with; at least, not if I wanted to stay friends with him. Wishing I could undo what I had just done, but knowing it was already far too late, I went to lunch by myself and tried to drown my guilt in pizza.

No comments: