Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pie and T-day

Made 47,905 last night. Wanted to make 48k, but I got pretty close, so no big deal! After that, I was planning to make 50k tonight, but it hasn't quite worked out so far.

After getting out of bed at 11:15 this morning feeling like I'd just come out of a coma, I had to make coffee and ingest said coffee before I could even think about making pie. Then I had to find my pie bible. It turned up on top of the fridge (I would never have found it if Craig hadn't pointed it out). Crusts alone took a couple of hours, then I put together the filling and finished making the pie for the get-together at Kathy and Ron's place tonight. It's baking now, and as usual, I'm having a fight with the oven. Hopefully this one won't burn, or at least won't burn as badly, as the last one did.

I'm excited about this particular pie, though. There was no recipe in my book for a basic double-crust apple-cinnamon pie, so did I find another book? Look up a recipe online? Nope, I wung it! (Winged it? Wang it? ...that last one didn't sound right.) I put cinnamon in the crust and nutmeg in the filling, plus a little bit of lemon juice. I also didn't have any plain white sugar, so I made the crust with some packets of Sugar in the Raw that I found in the cupboard and the filling with brown sugar. I'm thinking the brown sugar will probably caramelize in the oven and make a nice thick filling...in which case, should I not have added the cornstarch? Ugh, I hate second-guessing myself. I'll just have to report back on how it comes out.

Likelihood is that I won't get to blogging tomorrow, so I'll say it now: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Enjoy your turkey (or tofurkey, if you're one of those).

No comments: