Friday, March 27, 2009

Commuter Update

Whirlwind update here...I'm living with Marie for now, and though the commute is obnoxious, the whole roommate thing is working out very well. (Knock on wood.) She said to me Wednesday night, "You know, I never thought I'd do well with a roommate." Having done badly with some myself at Keene, I explained that you have to have the right roommate; it helps to have one whose OCD is similar to yours, and who doesn't get worked up about small stuff.

The drive to Sunderland is an hour, the drive to UMass an hour and ten, but I'm getting used to it already. I have days' worth of music on my iPod, and there's something therapeutic about just driving and singing, especially in nice weather like we're having today.

Bdubs has been giving me all crap shifts, but fortunately I've picked up some good ones from people who want days off, so it evens out. I worked last night, and if I've talked to you in person, you know that story. Anyway, I was the closer, and the dining room was done by 11:00. I then stood around and watched Heath work like crazy in the bar for the rest of the night, and tried to look busy when the manager came around. I did all right in tips, not great. I broke my record for lowest tip ever: 12 cents. And it wasn't that she tossed her change on the table, either; she actually wrote out ".12" on her credit card slip. Her bill was only $3-change, but still, what is wrong with people?

1 comment:

rage said...

The nerve of some people. Even if my bill was only a few dollars I would tip at least the same amount of the bill or more for good service.