Friday, January 16, 2009

Random Stuff

Every time I glance back over my previous posts, I find glaring omissions. That's what I get for doing so much damn stuff - I forget to keep up with it all. I'll throw in a few updates here, or at least some random interesting stuff.

I did manage to make all A's last semester. I don't know how I did it, except by panicking for the entire month of November, but somehow it happened. My GPA went up by .093...not like it matters, since I get to start all over again at UMass. They transfer credits but not grades.

The NaNo story still hasn't been finished, and I suspect it will be a while, although I still have ever intention of getting it done. I think it's sitting around 52k right now, and I'm taking a well-deserved break. While I was writing, Craig suggested that I give dad a cameo appearance, since he died two days before I began writing. At first I said no, but writing has its own personality and often gets away from you. I ended up putting in the cameo without even meaning to, as my character got hit by a car and dad stepped out of a crowd in the city and called an ambulance for her.

Grandma's brother Jim died on New Year's Day, after suffering from brain cancer for quite a while. We went to visit him in the nursing home while we were in New York, but Craig and I didn't go in, since he didn't know Craig and wouldn't have remembered me. Grandma was a mess, having lost her son, her grandson (my cousin Ben), and her brother in from October to January. I know she was glad to have visitors, although of course everyone's back to their homes now. At least Paul and Jacky still live close by.

After going to all the effort to get Elvis to write me a letter of recommendation to the computer science department at UMass, during orientation yesterday I declared my major. Apparently that was all it took. The professor/advisor asked if I wanted to declare so that he wouldn't have to override me into all the CS courses, and I said yes. They filled out the paperwork for me, and it was done. Was it really that easy? I hope so.

Speaking of orientations, the intro to the new job is on February 3rd. I was told to "bring a pen and an open mind - learn a lot." Michael said there would be 60-70 people at each of two orientations that day. That's a lot of employees. The only other place I've ever worked for that was so big was the Dining Commons at KSC. I'm looking forward to starting. When I'm bored, I cause trouble...and I've been really bored lately. I can only watch so much TV, and though I could chainmaille all day long, I have very limited money (none) with which to buy supplies.

On the subject of TV, I'm being distracted by the new show Destroyed in Seconds...I'll be back another time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BW3 is a big chain... and they're adding more all the time... but they started in Ohio and spread from the Midwest...

But I'm sure you'll learn all that in orientation...

As for causing trouble when you're bored... That's exactly like me... Why do you think I have a blog??? ;)